Parallel structure is something, where the same pattern of words of phrases is repeated in a sentence or a passage to exhibit an equal importance. Parallel structure is quite visible in the texts as the writers prefer to use this literary device to organize his ideas or points and most importantly, to make the entire text more comprehensive. However, the use of this literary device allows the writer to include a rhythm in his writing that grabs the reader’s attention. In brief, parallel structure the write up can be more approachable and cogent.
“Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.”
Here, William Shakespeare has noticeably used the parallel structure in these two lines taken from ‘The Tragedy of Julius Caesar’, a famous tragedy for all the time. In the first line, three different groups of society are equally referred and in the second line, two different phrases are placed in a parallel manner.
Francis Bacon included the parallel structure in his classic essay, “Of Studies,”
“Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider.”
Here, repetition is added to include an emphasis in the writing.
‘Great Expectations’ is a nice novel written by Charles Dickens and here, parallel structure is remarkably used. Another prominent example of parallel structure is ‘We Real Cool’ written by Gwendolyn Brooks.
“We real cool. We
Left school. We
Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We”
I love to do swimming, biking, hiking and many other activities.
The teacher advices to the students that they should get up early, and they should sleep early, and they should complete their homework on time.
The dog ran across the garden, jumped over the door, and finally, reached to the main road.
Easy come, easy go.
Parallel Structure at a Glance:
• This structure is a stylistic device and it shows an equal significance in different things
• It comprises two or more words, phrases, or clauses, along with the similar grammatical form.
• A rhythm is visible in the lines.
• This literary device is valuable to represent the ideas, concepts or facts clearly to the readers.
• It captures the reader’s mind and makes their understanding clearer.
• It is more visible in the prose, poetry, plays and speeches.
• It adds fluency in writing and hence, readers can easily understand the text as well as the meaning intended to convey.
• It emphasizes the words as well as the thoughts and a balanced written structure is presented.