In the reading comprehension, the significance of vocabulary is immeasurable. It is the most essential part of reading. A good vocabulary skill allows students to recognize different types of words. They can use new words while writing or speaking. Hence, it is important for students to expand their vocabulary skills. The more words students know, the better they are able to comprehend the written materials. Apart from this, they can also express their thoughts and ideas by using more stronger and descriptive words. In order to develop vocabulary skills, students should use the dictionary and thesaurus more often. Dictionary and thesaurus encompass a list of synonyms and antonyms of words, which help students to identify the meaning of a particular word along with its antonym. Let us understand the role of vocabulary in reading comprehension in detail.
1. The students who have better vocabulary skills or know more words are able to read and comprehend the passages more quickly.
2. They easily understand the complex words along with their meaning and usage.
3. The sound knowledge of vocabulary helps students to create correct sentence structure.
4. It also helps them to explain their answers more precisely.
5. Students with strong vocabulary skills become proficient readers. Apart from this, they speak and write better English.
The vocabulary skills not only strengthen the word knowledge of students, but also give them a good sense of how the words are used in the sentence. In addition to this, learn to communicate language more accurately.